Monday, March 5, 2012

Essay: Well a part of it...

MySpace and Facebook have become addictions in our everyday life. Similar to people who are dependent on drugs or alcohol, social networking junkies count the minutes to their next profile fix, checking their computers multiple times per day to see how many shout-outs, or new friends they have acquired. Personally sometimes I guess I am one of those junkies, especially when I am bored. Some days I refresh my Facebook app constantly checking my newsfeed to see what is happening and what others are posting. In a completely non stalker way.   
Personally, I only had MySpace for about a month. The way it worked was a little confusing from what I remember. One thing I liked was that the layout really was customized to your liking. You picked any background you wanted. My favorite part was you could choose a song, so when someone visited your site it would start playing. MySpace as almost everyone says is a little confusing I remember I always had a hard time finding things for some reason, from trying to find friends to navigating from one place to the next. I deactivated it because my parents did not like me having one. Shortly after my friends introduced me to Facebook. Again shortly after I made one just like everyone else to keep up with the newest and “coolest” social network. Almost everyone I knew was already on there.  I felt like the new student in class. I did however get used to Facebook in a shorter time than I did Facebook. Which, of course, was a plus.
I have to say I like Facebook more both the reason that I got a MySpace and Facebook was because a guy asked me if I had one and I didn't want to be an idiot and say no lol I have never referred to MySpace as ghetto though I think that's really funny... I think Facebook had more features than MySpace but the one thing I loved about MySpace was the personalized profile
                     -Anonymous
             Facebook got started with a bunch of students from Harvard. Seems like a lot of good is coming from that university, like Microsoft and Facebook. This is why most mention that Facebook users are more in the higher social class. Which is ironic because half the things posted up there are definitely not “high class”. According to the article by Boyd, MySpace is being associated with the term “Ghetto”. Defined, it means a section of a city, especially a thickly populated slum area, inhabited predominantly by members of an ethnic or other minority group, often as a result of social or economic restrictions, pressures, or hardships. Teens use the term probably because mostly minorities take up more of the demographic and also it is used as a music outlet. Mostly hip/hop and rap.





2 comments:

  1. As you revise, think of a good title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you mentioned that you constantly refresh your feed to see whats going on Facebook.. thats how i used to be to when i had mine

    ReplyDelete